SRINAGAR: “India conducted surgical strikes last night across the LoC (Line of Control) to safeguard our nation, the Defence Ministry said on Thursday. Significant casualties have been caused to militants and those trying to shield them. We don’t have a plan to further conduct such strikes. India has spoken to Pakistan,” DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh said.
“There were launch pads across the LoC where militants were present waiting to infiltrate the nation and attack areas in Kashmir and metros across the country,” the DGMO said.
No Indian casualties occurred during the surgical strikes that were carried out last night by the Indian Army.
“We have recovered items including GPS which have Pakistani markings. Captured militants hailing from PaK or Pakistan have confessed to their training in Pakistan or in Pakistan controlled region,” Singh said.
“I spoke to the Pak DGMO, shared our concerns and told him that we conducted surgical strikes last night: DGMO Singh said.
The press conference was jointly conducted by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Ministry of Defence.
Meanwhile, Pakistan, in a statement issued has said: At least two Army men were killed as Indian and Pakistani troops exchanged fire over the Line of Control in “Azad Jammu and Kashmir”.
The exchange of fire began at 2:30am, ISPR said, and continued till 8:00am. “Pakistani troops befittingly responded to Indian unprovoked firing on the LoC in Bhimber, Hotspring Kel and Lipa sectors,” the statement said.
Earlier on Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security to discuss the ceasefire violations along the Line of Control.
Also present at the meeting were Home Minister Rajnath Singh, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, NSA Ajit Doval, and Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar.
(The news story first appeared in The Indian Express.)