Youth injured in 2008 protests succumbs

Srinagar: A person who was injured in clashes during Amaranth land row six years ago succumbed to injuries at his home in north Kashmir’s Barramulla district Saturday morning, after braving multiple complications and ailments for six years.
30-year-old Shams-u-Din Fafoo, son of Mohammad Anwar of Shalteng Sheeri, succumbed to his injuries at his residence on Saturday at around 5:00 am, official sources told GNS.
The victim was a daily wager in Flood Control department and was posted at Malsum Sheeri in Baramulla.
“My son was on his way back to home after routine duty on June 30 2008 when protests were going on near Kichhama,” Muhammad Anwar, his father, a worker at Public Health Engineering Department, told GNS.
“When he reached there he was hit by a bullet fired by police as they were chasing a group of protesters,” he added.
Din was hit by a bullet in his abdomen and was immediately rushed to Sub-District hospital Baramulla.
Anwar said that doctors at SDH Baramulla referred him to SKIMS Soura for further treatment.
At SKIMS, the he was admitted for three months and underwent a surgery.
Subsequently he was discharged from the Hospital.
“My son was continuously ailing since last six years and during the period he had to undergo two more surgeries,” Anwar added.
“Unfortunately, he couldn’t survive and breathed his last today,” he said, adding “he was our only support.”
“My son was our only support. He has three children including a daughter,” he said, adding “His mother had already left us in February 2008, and now I am left alone.”
“I am a mentally impaired person now and unable to go to the duty. I am suffering from multiple ailments since my wife died. I don’t know how I will manage all this so as to support the three children and their widow mother which my son has left behind,” he said while bursting into tears.
“Irony is that no authority from police or district administration ever bothered to visit us,” he added.
A police official, while talking to GNS, said: “The incident happened on 30 June 2008 when a mob attacked Police Station Sheeri and a guard room. In retialition, the police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) chased the mob. In police action, several youth sustained injuries.”
More than sixty persons, mostly youth were killed after forces fired to suppress the unprecedented mass protests against controversial transfer of land in south Kashmir’s Pahalgam area to SASB in 2008. (GNS)